Thursday 14 November 2013

Protein Packed Peanut Butter Squares!

Since learning I can no longer eat almonds, I have been forced to give up my favourite protein bars of all time - the Elevate Me Bar. I used to take these bars tucked in my purse whenever I left the house. Vacations in places where Gluten Free options are less available usually meant I took a case or two whenever I traveled.  

Unfortunately, I've since discovered that most protein bar options are either gluten-free or almond-free but not both (or they just taste awful ha). One exception has been the Quest Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein bar, which upon me finding it, promptly disappeared from stores nearby.

To top it all off, this week I ran out of my Vega protein powder and was unable to restock as it seems there has been a recall on the product.

This all must be a sign for me to stop procrastinating and begin developing my very own protein bars. The day I share protein bars with you will not be today however.

Sadly, after making these (my first attempt), I discovered that the protein content was probably too low to qualify as a protein bar. They do however make a delicious protein packed square.

The picture is not that great, but they are awesome so I urge you to try them!

Protein Packed Peanut Butter Squares

Ingredients:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup coconut milk
1 chia egg (I used 1 tbsp hulled to 3 tbsp water simply because I couldn't find my whole seeds)
1/2 cup whey protein powder (I used New Zealand Whey)
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
60 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. mix dates in food processor until smooth
  3. In stovetop over medium heat, add dates, peanut butter and coconut milk and whisk until blended
  4. Remove from heat and mix in all remaining ingredients (waiting to add the chocolate until last)
  5. Pour into tart
  6. Bake for 18-20 minutes
  7. Cool thoroughly
  8. Cut into squares
  9. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love your Peanut butter square recipe with all those goodies in it! I am surely going to make this soon. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Let me know how they turn out :)

      Delete